INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
musicslug

Reply with quote  #1 
I got a crazy cheap contact mic/pickup off amazon recently, figured it was low-risk - for $4(!). I was, to put it mildly, blown away by how well it works on my vina: loud (no feedback issues, even sitting right in front of the speaker), deep bass, natural-sounding. go figure.

https://www.amazon.com/Leegoal-Guitar-Violin-Contact-Quality/dp/B008YDTVW8/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JRJYM2Z5G61QB7SG7B19

I haven't tried it on my surbahar yet, but that (or sitar) should be an easier challenge than the vina.
geezerjazz

Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks, I have been thinking about electrifying my dilruba. At $4 it's not a big risk.
barend

Reply with quote  #3 
I can't imagine a 4$ pickup is any good. Have you tried it outside the house on a stage or rehearsal room?
musicslug

Reply with quote  #4 
I've only used it at home, but a few feet in front of a large (15" + horn) speaker, at a volume that would 'disturb the peace' of the neighborhood, I had no feedback. I've even used it with reverb and fuzz pedals, notorious for causing feedback: no feedback. to add to how crazy it is: it's on the bottom of my vina's 'sound box' (peacock), which has a curved surface, so it's only in contact with an area that's essentially a line. I'm guessing the sound would be even better if I sanded a flat area, but I'm more than happy with the results I'm getting without doing a thing.   
barend

Reply with quote  #5 
Seems to good to be true. But who knows....[smile]
Tomek Regulski

Reply with quote  #6 
Actually I used these for a project with my sitar, maybe 6 years ago or so.

Bought two - one worked great, the other was very very weak. About the odds I was expecting at that price!

I will agree that I was pleased with the output quality, though I only used it in the studio, so I can not comment on live application. 

My top concern was that the putty that came with was a bit too harsh, and took off a bit of the varnish on my tabli. However, that is easily avoidable.

Otherwise very little to lose on this one!
geezerjazz

Reply with quote  #7 
What are some other inexpensive options for amplifying a dilruba? Are small mics better than piezo, or some combination of piezo and mic?
musicslug

Reply with quote  #8 
Tomek:

I wonder if we're talking about the same mic - the one I got didn't come with putty; it has double-sided clear 3M tape on it.

I did experiment with a sticky putty (the stuff people use to stick pictures to the wall), but the results were terrible.

I ordered another one for my surbahar, see if I just got lucky with the first one.
rex

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi Everyone,

It's very difficult to hear the quality of a mic/pickup by self-monitoring the output while you're playing.
I've heard some excellent live performances ruined because the performer couldn't hear how bad the pickup sounded.
If you try recording with the pickup, and then compare it to another recording using a good quality mic, that will give you a fairly objective idea of how relatively good the pickup is.

Cheers,
Rex
westsea

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
I've even used it with reverb and fuzz pedals

How about uploading some audio of that?!
Tomek Regulski

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
I wonder if we're talking about the same mic - the one I got didn't come with putty; it has double-sided clear 3M tape on it.

You know, actually now that I think of it (again, it has been several years) - one of them came with the putty, while the other came with and adhesive strip. They were ordered a few months apart, but I thought from the same vendor - perhaps they changed the approach. In any case, definitely the same microphone. 

For me, the putty one did work better. Of course, there are better putty's out there. I currently use an AKG contact microphone that came with some very nice stuff that works well and does not dry up. Not a perfect mic, but that's a different topic [smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.