INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
Michael MacLean

Reply with quote  #1 
A sitar I ordered online broke in transit.

What's the prognosis? Fixable? Estimated cost?

[frown] [frown] [frown] 

IMG_6388.jpeg  IMG_6390.jpeg  IMG_6391.jpeg  IMG_6392.jpeg  IMG_6393.jpeg  IMG_6384.jpeg  IMG_6385.jpeg  IMG_6389.jpeg  IMG_6386.jpeg  IMG_6387.jpeg 

g

Reply with quote  #2 
It looks fixable, see http://www.sitarfactory.be/repairs/tumba-repair/ for methods, if you wish to attempt it yourself. Without hearing it first, just looking at the quality of the finishing and the structure from the pictures shown, it looks to be a poor specimen [frown] so practising fixing things on it might be advisable, if you didn't spend too much money on it or aren't too attached to it. 

The bridge legs would need to be glued back on (unless you wanted to get a complete, new bridge), but luckily you haven't lost any pieces from the gourd which would be harder to fix but not impossible. 

I think the esteemed Sitarfixer is in Indianna, not sure if any one else is closer to you in NYC who can help. Other than asking your teacher/local music shop, your only option maybe to learn, because this surely won't be the last time this happens [tongue]

Tomek Regulski

Reply with quote  #3 
Hey Michael - I am actually based in NYC and am capable of certain repairs. I've fixed a gourd that had a hole punched through it, so this is all definitely doable. If you'd like any help, or even just to make a local connection, feel free to shoot me a message!
Michael MacLean

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek Regulski
Hey Michael - I am actually based in NYC and am capable of certain repairs. I've fixed a gourd that had a hole punched through it, so this is all definitely doable. If you'd like any help, or even just to make a local connection, feel free to shoot me a message!

Great! Will send a DM
Michael MacLean

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by g
It looks fixable, see http://www.sitarfactory.be/repairs/tumba-repair/ for methods, if you wish to attempt it yourself. Without hearing it first, just looking at the quality of the finishing and the structure from the pictures shown, it looks to be a poor specimen [frown] so practising fixing things on it might be advisable, if you didn't spend too much money on it or aren't too attached to it. 

The bridge legs would need to be glued back on (unless you wanted to get a complete, new bridge), but luckily you haven't lost any pieces from the gourd which would be harder to fix but not impossible. 

I think the esteemed Sitarfixer is in Indianna, not sure if any one else is closer to you in NYC who can help. Other than asking your teacher/local music shop, your only option maybe to learn, because this surely won't be the last time this happens [tongue]

This is tempting. I did buy it as a “cheapie” extra so maybe it’s worth trying like you say. I’ll take a look at the link later — thank you!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.