INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
tablawadak

Reply with quote  #1 
Please can anyone assist and advice as to what is the best size for practicing tabla. I have had advice for practicing on a low scale (D# to C#) 7 to 7.5 inch tabla. Please advise ?

Regards
drtom

Reply with quote  #2 
Welcome to the forum tablawadak.

I'm no guru but since no one else is chiming in, I'll try to help.  First, let's make sure I understand you correctly.

Are you a beginner and wish to know what would be a good size for you to start on?

Did you mean 5 to 5.5 inch?  That size would naturally tune to C# - D#.  7 to 7.5 inch would be an extremely large dayan.  You might need to special order such a drum.

Do you have large hands?

KevalKK44

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi there tablawadak,

Good question here. I am also new to learning tabla. I have been practising on a 5.5 inch dayan which i always tune to C#. I've been practising for 2 months now and just knowing how to sound different bols.

What I am intrigued with is how do we identify the taal and play with someone who is singing along? 
I usually play harmonium and sing bhajans, I am learning tabla to know the taal aspect in detail. I cannot understand how a tabla player identifies/catches the rhythm of someone that is singing.

My accompanist tabla player learnt it naturally by seeing others play tabla, so he does not have an appropriate answer.
tablawadak

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtom
Welcome to the forum tablawadak.

I'm no guru but since no one else is chiming in, I'll try to help.  First, let's make sure I understand you correctly.

Are you a beginner and wish to know what would be a good size for you to start on?

Did you mean 5 to 5.5 inch?  That size would naturally tune to C# - D#.  7 to 7.5 inch would be an extremely large dayan.  You might need to special order such a drum.

Do you have large hands?
tablawadak

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi drtom,

I have been practicing for some time now and was advised at the outset to practice on a larger size 7 inch tabla and then spend a small portion of the time practicing on a smaller size such as 5.5 inch. Reason that i was advised is that the 7inch tabla is extremely difficult to play and hence it would build stamina and speed given that the distances are further to reach between various parts of the tabla and ultimately when you perform on a small size tabla it would be easier to play.

my hand size is average .  I wanted to get others view on this topic.

thanks

drtom

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablawadak
Hi drtom,

Reason that i was advised is that the 7inch tabla is extremely difficult to play and hence it would build stamina and speed given that the distances are further to reach between various parts of the tabla and ultimately when you perform on a small size tabla it would be easier to play.

I see the logic in that but can't say it would play out that way in practice since I've never tried it.  Hopefully, someone with first hand knowledge will share their experience.

My experience is with repairing tablas much more than with playing them.  I've seen many tablas, but the largest I've come across is 6.25" (maybe 6.5").  Finding a pudi for that dayan was not a trivial matter (I'm in the US).  A 7 to 7.5 in dayan must be pretty rare, and would have to be tuned at a low octave to play at D# to C#.

dhatitdha

Reply with quote  #7 
In the initial period  I practiced most of the time on Large and Medium size Tabla and later I found it difficult to adjust my hand on smaller size Tabla.
Also I was finding it difficult to produce clarity while playing on smaller size Tabla.

So I would suggest to practice on Large, Medium and small size Tabla on every two to three days.
drtom

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhatitdha
In the initial period  I practiced most of the time on Large and Medium size Tabla and later I found it difficult to adjust my hand on smaller size Tabla.

I wonder what you mean exactly by "Large and Medium size".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhatitdha
Also I was finding it difficult to produce clarity while playing on smaller size Tabla.

So, while practicing on a 7 to 7.5 inch tabla might improve stamina and speed (as tw suggests), precision might suffer in the process.  I can believe this as well.

There's always a catch.

taaliyan

Reply with quote  #9 
Ideal size for practicing would be 6 to 6.25 inches . This certainly improves stamina . A tabla larger than that might impact form in most cases.  
Tabla pudis are available quite easily in the 7 and 7.5 inch width. If anyone needs help in finding them, please message me.
tablawadak

Reply with quote  #10 
Many Thanks to all members for assisting and advising. The responses have certainly helped. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.