INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Palta101

Reply with quote  #1 
Does anybody here know how to go about appraising an old sarangi - possibly early 1900s? Nothing much on the web about this. Even typing the names of famous maker's in Google brings up very little reference information of value.
manmeet

Reply with quote  #2 
Post a picture here.
Sitar Fixer

Reply with quote  #3 
Pictures will help a lot !
Palta101

Reply with quote  #4 
Hello everyone, I am restoring this old sarangi at the moment. Sadly it had no pegs, nuts or bridges on it when I purchased but did come with a lovely ebony gaj, very old case, and a hemp drawstring sack. The magaj need some regluing and minor reconstruction. I glued a major crack (probably from an impact) in the sound chamber and I am currently reconstucting the lost details on the shoulder of the pet (see before pic). I will touch up stain and french polish any areas unfinished when the details are completed. Apart from my own there appears many minor repairs done to it throughout the decades. Some were very ineffective and unsightly. Stain or shoe polish covered the skin and the tasma (which I am reconditioning) but left alot of blemishes on the wood.
One major concern I have are the cracks running though two or three of the main pegbox holes for the chromatics. I am trying to look into solutions to strengthen the rim (see pic with copper repair strip screwed on). It is dry and very solid otherwise. Inserting a spiral bush into the peg hole probably would be overkill but I'll see how they react with new pegs under friction.
I feel it is necessary to reinforce the sound chamber as the soul post was putting to much upward pressure on the endgrain in the main pegbox hence the old copper plate reinforcement. My reinforcements (oak) are glued in and removable if necessary. With the added javari and tarab strings it must have been under higher than usual tension which necessitated a previous shaving down of the bottom. A new piece of wood was smartly joined into the pet at some point.

Attached Images
jpeg 20180302_100949.jpg (3.01 MB, 9 views)
jpeg sarangi_left_sideveiw.jpg (2.91 MB, 9 views)
jpeg sarangi_rt_sideveiw.jpg (2.89 MB, 7 views)
jpeg magaj2.jpg (3.51 MB, 6 views)
jpeg sarangi_ fingerboard1.jpg (3.16 MB, 6 views)
jpeg sarangi_pet_before3.jpg (3.31 MB, 8 views)
jpeg magaj3.jpg (3.12 MB, 7 views)
jpeg gaj1.jpg (3.79 MB, 7 views)
jpeg gaj2.jpg (5.58 MB, 6 views)
jpeg gaj3.jpg (3.48 MB, 7 views)
jpeg sarangi_pet_repair1.jpg (3.45 MB, 8 views)
png sarangi_project01.png (2.41 MB, 6 views)

Palta101

Reply with quote  #5 
Some more details

Attached Images
jpeg pegbox_repaired_cover1.jpg (3.18 MB, 4 views)
jpeg sarangi_pegbox_detail5.jpg (2.81 MB, 3 views)
jpeg sarangi_side_detail2.jpg (3.10 MB, 5 views)
jpeg sarangi_pegbox_detail2.jpg (8.12 MB, 4 views)
jpeg sarangi_side detail1.jpg (3.49 MB, 5 views)
jpeg magaj1.jpg (3.25 MB, 6 views)
jpeg sarangi_damage_before2.jpg (4.76 MB, 6 views)
jpeg sarangi_carving_ progress1.jpg (3.80 MB, 6 views)
jpeg sarangi_tasma1.jpg (2.97 MB, 4 views)
jpeg sarangi_soulpost.jpg (3.47 MB, 4 views)
jpeg sarangi_cover_woodnails.jpg (1.86 MB, 8 views)
jpeg magaj_repair1.jpg (4.13 MB, 6 views)
jpeg sarangi_bottom_before1.jpg (3.40 MB, 6 views)
jpeg 20180302_105110.jpg (2.82 MB, 5 views)
jpeg 20180302_105045.jpg (3.41 MB, 5 views)

Palta101

Reply with quote  #6 
Trying to correct twist and upward movement in pet. I removed 0.5 cm from bottom to partially compensate for it. Cutting it pretty close to targahan. Bottom was raised about a centimeter out of alignment to the fingerboard. Maybe raise the nut and keep action higher? Any suggestions? The new skin will place the gurach higher than before too.

Attached Images
jpeg sarangi_bottom_before2.jpg (3.98 MB, 5 views)
jpeg sarangi_bottom.jpg (2.87 MB, 5 views)

Sitar Fixer

Reply with quote  #7 
Well we asked for pictures and hoo boy did you ever deliver. Excellent restoration work on a very worthy patient.  I have a Sarangi quite similar to this one. I'm told it by " Masita ". This and the "Behra" instruments are very desirable. Age estimate sounds about right. Glad to see this one coming together. Sale price would be tough to say. Collectors could pay a few thousand dollars I would imagine. 
Palta101

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitar Fixer
Well we asked for pictures and hoo boy did you ever deliver. Excellent restoration work on a very worthy patient.  I have a Sarangi quite similar to this one. I'm told it by " Masita ". This and the "Behra" instruments are very desirable. Age estimate sounds about right. Glad to see this one coming together. Sale price would be tough to say. Collectors could pay a few thousand dollars I would imagine. 

Thanks Sitar Fixer. Actually I don't think I would ever sell it but rather buy more like it if I can find them. I definitely need better tools though. I use carving tools, Dremel, files and a handsaw Lol
First I'll see how this one plays.

Arielle
Sitar Fixer

Reply with quote  #9 
I have what might be a "Behra" Sarangi that is a real train wreck. It looks like you could make it sing again. If you're up for the challenge, I'll post some pics.

Palta101

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitar Fixer
I have what might be a "Behra" Sarangi that is a real train wreck. It looks like you could make it sing again. If you're up for the challenge, I'll post some pics.

Hi Sitar Fixer,
That sounds very interesting, I would love to see some pictures! Thanks.

Arielle
Sitar Fixer

Reply with quote  #11 
Here ya be ! ! ! CAT BOX 001.jpg  CAT BOX 002.jpg  CAT BOX 006.jpg 
Palta101

Reply with quote  #12 
Thanks for posting them Sitar Fixer,
Wow! That is quite an historical artifact and looks like it has seen a few barroom brawls in its day. Sad about the plundered inlay mark but it still retains its dignity despite all the wounds. Someone would have to give it lots of love and tenderness and many hours. Are you looking to restore for yourself? I would be interested in this challenge but probably would have to wait till the end of the year. Curious to know where one can find matching sheesham wood in small pieces.
Sitar Fixer

Reply with quote  #13 
I overhauled a similar Sarangi a year or so back. Mahogany is a much better wood, is readily available, cheap and a really good color match. A strip of cocobolo was used for the "gang of nine" peg runner. Dig the pics. I have tons more progress pics if anyone is interested. That internal brace beam is mahogany and dished out in anticipation of skin sink and bow clearance. I also built up the inside back corners and rounded for skin clearance again. I love my job ! ! !

Catbox001.jpg  Sarangi Overhaul 001.jpg  Catbox005.jpg  IMG_0168.jpg  Catbox015.jpg  Catbox020.jpg  Sarangi Overhaul 010.jpg  if anyone is interested. 

Palta101

Reply with quote  #14 
Thanks Sitar Fixer. Really beautiful work! I'd love to see more pictures absolutely
Palta101

Reply with quote  #15 
Hi would anyone have ideas or suggestions as to what I could do to stabilize and reinforce the cracks and splintered wood in the main peg box short of adding more reinforments? Among issues, there are a few very fine cracks that run through 2 or 3 of the chromatic peg holes to the top edge above the shoulder - an early repair was done with copper. I don't really think any holes require a bushing and reaming. The cracks look quite old and the wood is seasoned 100+ years, so probably not expanding - I'm not sure. I know I will have to test under peg friction and pressure to get a better understanding but I rather repair the issue first. I don't want to shove any old glue in there without considering the ramifications. Thanks

Attached Images
jpeg 20180318_104520.jpg (4.39 MB, 5 views)
jpeg 20180318_102939.jpg (4.08 MB, 5 views)
jpeg 20180318_102747.jpg (4.61 MB, 5 views)
jpeg 20180318_102903.jpg (4.14 MB, 5 views)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.